This post is an extract from my Amsterdam Restaurant Guide. While I’ve loosely grouped them as “American restaurants”, of course BBQ, steaks, chicken and burgers in Amsterdam are as internationally represented as the city’s inhabitants.
Amsterdam burger restaurants
A few years ago, Amsterdam went nuts for gourmet burgers – especially if served with craft beer. Some of my favourite burgers are served up at Troost (technically a Dutch craft beer brewery, but that’s just a minor detail), The Butcher (check out The Butcher Social Club in the A’DAM Tower if you like some hip beats and old-school games with your meal) and Lombardo’s (handily close to the Rijksmuseum).
- Troost: See website for locations and phone numbers: brouwerijtroost.nl
- The Butcher: See website for locations and phone numbers: the-butcher.com
- Lombardo’s: Nieuwe Spiegelstraat 50 (Canal Belt) 020 420 5010 lombardos.nl
Amsterdam BBQ and steak restaurants
Likewise on the meaty front, restaurants that sear your steak on the charcoal grill or BBQ your beef low & slow for hours have become more and more common over the last few years. For steak, try Cannibale Royale – now with four locations and counting – or the Midtown Grill. For real American BBQ, my favourite is Pendergast near the Westerpark (their brisket is to die for). Carnivore Smoke BBQ near the Vondelpark comes a close second and is a great option if you’re in the south of the city.
- Cannibale Royale: See website for locations and phone numbers: cannibaleroyale.nl
- Midtown Grill: Stadhouderskade 12 (Oud-West) 020 607 5555 midtowngrill.nl
- Pendergast: Groen van Prinstererstraat 14 (Westerpark) 020 845 8507 pendergast.nl
- Carnivore Smoke BBQ: Amstelveenseweg 156 (Zuid) 020 752 9556 facebook.com/carnivorebarsmokebbq
Chicken (wings) in Amsterdam
For roast chicken, don’t miss Rotisserie – with one location in Oost and another in West. And for chicken wings – which absolutely must be served buffalo-style, covered in potently hot sauce, preferably with a side of blue cheese dressing – try Café Carbon and Lion’s Head Brew Bar, both in de Pijp.