I love all things chilli, so Sichuan cuisine is one of my favourites. Serves 2.
- 3 aubergines
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chilli oil
- Half teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinkiang vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns – toasted and lightly crushed
- 2 spring onions – finely slices
- Rice to serve
- Prick the aubergines in several places with a fork and bake for 1 hour at 200 degrees C.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing the soy sauce, chilli oil, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar and half the Sichuan peppercorns in a bowl.
- Once the aubergines are soft, scoop out the flesh and roughly dice it.
- Mix the aubergine with the sauce and serve over rice, garnished with the spring onions and the rest of the Sichuan peppercorns