Poké bowls are so versatile – you can switch out the protein and all the veggies for whatever you like best. Serves 2.
- 2 salmon fillets, or 2 chicken thighs, or 2 small steaks – cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 150 grams sushi rice
- 210 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- Choose any 3 or 4 of the following:
- 1 small mango
- 1 avocado
- 10 radishes
- 100 grams edamame beans
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- half a cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 2 large tablespoons kimchi
- To garnish (optional): coriander leaves, red chilli, black sesame seeds
- Mix together the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in the bowl to create a marinade. Coat your salmon, chicken or steak in the marinade and set aside while you do the rest.
- Put the sushi rice, water and salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 mins. Then take off the heat and let sit for 15 mins – do not remove the lid.
- After the 15 mins is up, fold the vinegar gently into the rice and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients: chop the vegetables/fruit into bite-sized pieces (obviously you don’t need to chop up the edamame beans!).
- Heat a frying pan to a high temperature, and quick-cook your salmon, steak or chicken. The salmon and steak will cook extremely quickly as you want them still pink in the middle. The chicken may take a little longer to cook through. Throw in the marinade towards the end to make sure your meat or fish is nicely coated in the sweet, sticky glaze.
- To assemble: put the rice in the bottom of two bowls, and divide up the meat or fish and veggies/mango between the two bowls (see picture).
- Garnish with a few coriander leaves, sliced red chilli and black sesame seeds if using.