Excellent for brunch or any other time of day, and healthier than you might think. Serves 4.
- 1 large tin tomatillos, drained
- 4 jalapeno peppers, stems removed
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large bunch coriander
- 4-6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 handfuls grated mild cheese, such as mozzarella, young gouda or mild cheddar
- 4 handfuls tortilla chips, preferably the less salty, baked ones (labelled totopos at my supermarket)
- In a saucepan of water, bring the tomatillos, jalapenos, onion and garlic to the boil and simmer for 10 mins.
- Strain out the vegetables (keep the cooking liquid) and allow to cool slightly. Put them in a blender with the coriander and whizz till smooth – add a bit of the cooking liquid to create a loose sauce consistency.
- Meanwhile, poach the chicken thighs (preferably in the same cooking liquid) for 15 mins until cooked through. Strain and shred the chicken and set aside.
- When ready to assemble the dish, gently heat the shredded chicken in the green sauce until warmed through.
- Arrange a handful of tortilla chips in a shallow bowl per person. Top with the chicken and green sauce mix. Sprinkle the cheese on top and allow to melt a bit. Garnish with any leftover coriander.
- Serve immediately, scooping up the sauce with the chips.