Of course, supermarkets have taken over in Amsterdam just like most cities in northern Europe. But if you’re looking for that special ingredient or foodie gift to take home, here are a host of specialist food shops you’ll love to visit…
12 of Amsterdam’s Best Specialist Food Shops
- Volkskruidentuin (Kinkerstraat 142) – for spices, preserved lemons and all sorts of North African goodies.
- Kaaskamer (Runstraat 7) – for wonderful cheeses.
- Dun Yong (Stormsteeg 9) – for sushi equipment, soba noodles, Thai basil and all things Asian.
- Tel (Kloveniersburgwal 11-13) – for the freshest fish and seafood.
- Slagerij de Leeuw (Utrechtsestraat 92) – for meat, pâté, charcuterie and so on.
- Duikelman (Ferdinand Bolstraat 66-68) – for kitchen equipment and cookbooks (including my own!).
- Kookboekhandel (Haarlemmerdijk 133) – for cookbooks in Dutch and English.
- Puccini Bomboni (Singel 184 and Staalstraat 17) – one for the chocolate lovers…
- Kef (Marnixstraat 192, Czar Peterstraat 137 and Van der Pekplein 1) – because you can never have too much cheese on a list about Amsterdam food shops.
- Frank’s Smokehouse (Wittenburgergracht 303) – which is busy selling Frank’s amazing smoked fish, meat and more to all the best restaurants in Amsterdam.
- Ibericus (Haarlemmerstraat 93) – jamón, chorizo, lomo… need I say more, fellow pork lovers?
- Marqt (multiple locations) – because we’re still grateful that this chain of upscale fancy supermarkets exists (even if they do have a habit of stacking shelves at 5 pm, just like Albert Heijn…)