I’m a bit short on time this week, so here are just a few notes on Helsinki’s restaurant and bar scene for anyone who might be visiting for work or pleasure…
Helsinki Restaurants, Bars, Cafés and Markets
- Fazer – Chain of chocolate shops and cafés all over the city, apparently their chocolate is legendary among Finns! Try the Fazerin Sinnen Cappuccino – there’s a stick of chocolate at the bottom of your coffee (turning it into a sort of mocha) and one on the side, too.
- Juova – Funky craft beer bar in the Kluuvi area. I loved the Kuohuma blonde Belgian-style ale from Maistila and the Double or Nothing IPA from Mallassepät.
- Ihana Kahvila Baari – Cute, cosy cafe very close to Senate Square. Nice for coffee and cinnamon buns, but the lunches looked good too.
- Kauppatori market – Central market for Finnish food stalls.
- Wino – Cosy wine bar with bar brick walls and candlelight. We enjoyed all the wines by the glass (around €10-12 each). Small plates to share for around €15 – particularly liked the plaice with crawfish, the mousse pelmeni and the beef tenderloin with sprouts.
- The Bull & the Firm – Similar concept to Wino. Cosy atmosphere and good wines by the glass. Small plates were very small! We only tried the cauliflower with almond and spruce, and the tomato with aubergine.
- Hakaniemi market – Just over the bridge towards Kallio. Browse the fish stall and drink a bowl of salmon soup with rye bread or grab a lihapiirakka (stuffed savoury pie) from Eromanga bakery.
- Siltanen – Hipster bar and venue with cool-looking outdoor space in summer, and a younger crowd. We tried a cocktail and a glass of wine, but Onda (collaboration with Siltanen) also serves food.
- Tanner – Loved the cosy vibe at this bar/restaurant. We sat at the bar and had a couple of glasses of the “wine of the weekend” – an Austro-Hungarian red blend.
- Sivukirjasto – Dive bar serving craft beers, with plenty of board games for people to play.
- Flat no 14 – All day food concept with a cute interior and friendly service, we just popped in for a drink.